POSSUM KINGDOM TRAIL RUN – Saturday April 27, 2013 – Graford, Texas
The Possum Kingdom Trail Run occurs on the highly varied and beautiful outdoor environment within the Possum Kingdom Lake Hike & Bike Trail System located 90 miles West of central Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. (A short drive northwest of Mineral Wells, Texas)
This scamper will challenge with its varied terrain that includes mostly run-friendly double-wide trail along with a few short sections of sigletrack. You will experience a number of fun climbs that will provide breathtaking views of Possum Kingdom Lake. Expect a few rocks, a few roots, and plenty of trail running goodness!
DATE: Saturday April 27, 2013
DISTANCE: 20 km, 55 km, 52 mile
**Course distance measured with a Rolatape Professional Series measuring wheel. Yes the distances may be a little goofy, but we kind of like it that way…And the distances are accurate!
LOCATION: Possum Kingdom Lake Hike & Bike Trail System – Graford, Texas
The Possum Kingdom Lake Hike & Bike Trail System is located 90 miles West of central Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. (A short drive northwest of Mineral Wells, Texas)
Google Map Link - This gives the location of Bug Beach Road which is the location of the start/finish area.
- PK Driving Map
- PK Peninsula Map with aid station locations
- Bug Beach Layout
- How to Park at Bug Beach
STARTING TIME (**Updated**): 52 mile / 55 km – 6:30 am, 20 km – 7:30am
12-and-UNDER KIDS FUN RUN: We will have a free 12-and-under kids fun run! It will be a .40 mile loop around the Bug Beach area. Our youth will run one or two loops depending on their age. Must have parent sign waiver and pick up lucky number 1 bib at packet pickup. Time – 7:35am
TIME LIMIT (**Updated**): 14 hour 15 minute time limit! This is based on the 52 mile / 55 km start time.
CUP-FREE AID STATIONS: We are very excited to be a cup-free racing event! In an effort to reduce our environmental impact (garbage creation, volunteer garbage pickup, etc), all aid stations will be cup-free. Please bring your own water bottle or hydration system. Yeah Earth!
See Cup-Free Racing Support for a list of hydrous options to support this transition.
PACKET PICK-UP / CHECK-IN: Race morning! We will be excitedly waiting.
ACCOMMODATIONS: A variety of free campsites are available within a couples miles of the start/finish (Bug Beach) area and include:
See Possum Kingdom Lake Hike & Bike Trail Map for reference.
Note: Campsites are first come, first serve. Note, I have yet to see more than a couple tents. Also no water hook-ups or electricity at any of the campsites.
- North D&D – Approx. 75 campsites. New facilities (bathrooms/showers). Playground. Some trees. Top recommendation if you want a few amenities. Within a couple miles of start/finish (Bug Beach)
- Sandy Beach – Approx. 45 campsites. New facilities (bathrooms/showers). Playground. More exposed. Within a couple miles of start/finish (Bug Beach)
- Bug Beach – Approx. 12 campsites. Start/Finish area BUT will be primitive camping.
Here is a great map courtesy of the Possum Kingdom Chamber of Commerce that showcases camping, lodging, and dining options within a stone’s throw to the race site (or at least very close ) – Possum Kingdom: Lodging, Dining, Camping Map (pdf file)
The above map should provide great insight of everything close to the race site but you can always check out the PK Chamber of Commerce Visitors tab for more.
LOCAL COMMUNITY SUPPORT: We are excited to have a portion of the events proceeds go to YMCA Camp Grady Spruce! A youth camp located along the trail system on beautiful Possum Kingdom Lake.
REGISTER: Reserve your ticket for this trail running party at Ultra Signup.
**There will be an entry limit of 350 runners.
Initially limited to:
- 20 km – 133 runners
- 55 km – 117 runners
- 52 mile – 100 runners
Registration closes on Sunday, April 21, 2013. No race day registration.
Included in your entry fee:
- Groovy Bamboo and Organic Cotton event shirt. You must registered by March 31 to receive a shirt or save some coin if you’re running out of space for all your event shirts. Registrations after March 31 will be the no-shirt pricing.
- On-site professional medical support
- Online registration fees and any applicable taxes.
- Well marked course
- Race course fluid and nutrition
- Finisher’s gift
- Post-race tummy happiness.
- Support a local organization
- Loads of fun!
Other boring but necessary details:
- All refunds will deduct a $10 processing fee.
- Entry fees are non-refundable after March 31.
- Entry fees are non-refundable, including the event of inclement weather.
- If something occurs that threatens the safety of the event, the event will be altered if reasonable possible, or the event may be delayed or canceled.
- Entries cannot be rolled to another year.
- Entries cannot be transferred to another person.
- Event shirts not picked up on race day will not be mailed and will be made available to the event volunteers following the race.
Interested in a FREE EBA adventure for you, friend, or that unknown dude or dudette over by that big tree? Check out the Volunteer page on how you can support fellow runners and take home some completely transferable EBA discounts.
Be part of the EBA Volunteer tribe! We are extremely grateful for your support!
THE TRIBE: - Here are those getting dirty on April 27!
FINISHER’S GIFT and AWARDS:
All finishers will receive a finisher’s gift. To keep within the mission of EBA, the gift will be a cool local item and will not be a traditional medal.
Fast Feet gift awards for 52 mile, 55 km, and 20 km race:
- Top 3 male and female finishers
- Top male and female in age group 40-49
- Top male and female in age group 50-59
- Top male and female in age group 60+
*No stacking of awards. The gift award would roll down to the next person.
Be sure to enjoy some post-adventure food and cheer on fellow finishers.